Taking care of a newborn baby is a task as scary as it is exciting. The joy of bringing a new life into the world cannot be measured in words. But this new life that you bring is extremely fragile and needs to be cared for properly to grow and thrive.
Parenthood is a job easier said than done and we understand how daunting the new prospect can be. Thus, we bring to you some quick newborn care tips to help ease your journey along the way. But before we begin, the most important tip that any parent should take is to enjoy the moments. Parenting is hard but babies grow quickly and before you know they’re all grown up. So, savor your moments, no matter how stressing or daunting they look. With that being said, here are 10 newborn care tips you should follow;
- Sleep – A newborn should sleep on their back, no pillows, blankets, or bumpers. Put them on a firm surface, on their back, and let them sleep. This reduces the chances of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). A quick side tip, sleep when your baby sleeps to catch up on some energy.
- Holding With Care – Newborns take some months to fully develop their neck support, hence you must always support your newborn’s neck while holding them. Get rear-facing baby seats for your car until your baby develops adequate head control.
- Feeding the baby – Breastmilk is vital for the initial growth of the baby as it contains all the necessary nutrients in proper proportion, protecting the baby against diseases, and sickness, and allergies. Although quite an important part of a newborn’s growth, if you’re unable to breastfeed or decide not to, infant formula milk is a great alternative and helps provide the baby with sufficient nutrients.
- Burping the baby – Pat the baby’s back gently after feeding them to avoid infantile reflux, a common syndrome in newborns. Although, according to the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition (NASPGHAN), the first step to avoiding infantile reflux is to avoid overfeeding the baby.
- Newborn baby diapers – A newborn baby can go through 8-12 diapers per day so be on with the diaper switch. Switch the newborn diapers every few hours or immediately if soiled. Keep in mind that during the first year you’ll require a precariously high number of diapers and running to the store every time is not a convenient option. Start ordering your newborn diapers online to save time, energy, and money. The best diapers for newborn babies such as Merries diapers are all available online on multiple e-commerce shopping portals like Amazon, Firstcry etc
- Sponge baths – Newborns should be given sponge baths only until the umbilical cord dries and falls off. Do not submerge your baby in a bath, dip your sponge in lukewarm water, and gently clean your baby’s skin.
- Dirty Diapers – Frequent changes of the diaper helps reduce the chances of diaper rash. Diaper rash is one of the commonly found skin irritations in babies. One of the leading causes of it is wet diapers. To further reduce the chances of diaper rash, use a good quality diaper with a highly absorbent core like Merries diapers. Also, make sure the diaper has proper airflow to keep the skin dry and comfortable.
- Massage bonding – Newborns develop an emotional connection and establish bonds through physical touch first. Thus, it is important for the parent to give their babies full-body massages to build bonds with the baby and develop trust. Massages also help strengthen the baby’s muscles and bones.
- Never shake the baby – Newborns are fragile as their brain is still developing along with their muscles and bones and shaking them in any form can cause severe damage. To pacify your baby, try to gently soothe them, or distract them with toys.
- Vaccinations – Vaccinations are vital for your baby’s immune system. Get up to date with all the required vaccines with your pediatrician and don’t miss the dates.